Thursday 11 August 2011

LONELY PLANET: CHINA

LONELY PLANET: CHINA various

ChinaChina by Lonely Planet Publications

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Oh dear. This book does have an awful lot of bad reviews. And unlike a fictional novel, this is hardly subjective; if the facts are wrong or the information isn't there, a guidebook fails in its most basic purpose.



Although . . . it didn't fail for me. Perhaps this is because I used an earlier edition (I was in China for a year from August 2003 to August 2004) and it's gone deeply downhill since then. Perhaps it is because the Olympics changed everything. Perhaps it really is subjective after all. But all I can say is the China LP was an absolute godsend during my year in the Middle Kingdom and now, with its copious annotations, dogeared corners and whiff of multiple food spillages, one of my favourite and most cherished posessions.



I love the Lonely Planet. I've used Rough Guide and found it too vague (which is obviously the idea, albeit not mine) and other guides whose names now escape me, it was so so long ago, but I always return to this. Guide to guide, they vary wildly, largely because the authors are extremely influential on the literary style and ratings are based on their opinions rather than facts. But their general layout is always the same and once you've used one, you know exactly how to refer to them all.



In my experience, LP gives you enough information to be going on with, but never feels like it is telling you what you must or must not do. Suggestions are open-ended and (unlike RG), the authors don't write sneeringly when they mention upmarket joints or touristy locations. They'll always give alternatives, but splashing out or going for the easy option is neither derided nor encouraged. It's your trip; it's up to you.



Prices are inevitably wrong but that's because hotels and restaurants rarely set them in stone in the first place; plus, no doubt, the Olympics will have hiked up everything in sight. I use them as a general guide and never expect to pay exactly what they mention but I trust their opinions and the maps are always accurate. Photos are beautiful, background information fascinating, practical advice invaluable. The opening chapter descriptions of each province used to give me goosebumps when I was planning my trip and now they bring back searingly sharp memories of my experiences. I would read it again now, just for entertainment.



China is not a country to which I would advise the first-time backpacker to venture. It's tough, it's alien, it's more brain-achingly vast than you can possibly imagine, but it's also incredibly rewarding, fascinating and in my opinion, having covered most of the country and used this wonderful (heavy) book whilst doing so, absolutely worth it.



I'm about to visit Argentina and one of the first things I bought was a Lonely Planet. Despite this imminent trip lasting a mere fortnight, I can't imagine leaving home without my trusty reference guide. Book to book, writers change and opinions may vary but one thing you can't accuse them of is lack of heart. The enthusiasm for travelling and their country of choice is palpable and infectious. Never make the mistake of idly picking up a Lonely Planet in a Waterstones to kill time or you'll be perusing the British Airways website before you even realise what's happened. (That happened to me once . . . I ended up in Fiji). If I could write for LP, I would. As it is, I'm going to settle for reading; as second-best options go, I've experienced an awful lot worse.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment